We love sifting through the incredible photo collection at the Vancouver Archives. This week’s finds include Joe Fortes taking a dip, the luxurious lobby of the Marine Building, and a look back at the second Hotel Vancouver.
1. The second incarnation of the Hotel Vancouver, 1917
A lot fancier than the first version.
2. Vancouver Trunk and Bag Ltd. truck on the Georgia Viaduct, 1926
A luggage trunk with wheels!
3. Hikers take a rest on the top of Grouse Mountain, ca. 1900
Great photo, but not very safe…
4. Construction of the Georgia Viaduct, 1970
And now it’s coming down…
5. Joe Fortes diving into English Bay, 1906
Showing some local kids how it’s done.
6. View of Hastings St. looking east from the Dominion Trust Building at Cambie St., 1909
I spy the Woodward’s building.
7. Interior lobby of the Marine building, 1972
Interior design at its finest.