Take a break from the news cycle and help us celebrate the things we covered this week that are making Vancouver Awesome with a capital “A.”
December 2-8, 2017
3. We picked the 13 best shows to see this week.
4. Bloedel Conservatory celebrated its 48th birthday.
5. Vancouver is home to Big Joy, which is a hair salon and experimental music festival.
6. There’s going to be a new bus shelter at Commercial-Broadway that will cover roughly 160 people.
7. The Vancouver Aquarium really decks the halls for Christmas and we got a firsthand look.
8. North Vancouver had a ferris wheel running as part of the Shipyards Christmas Festival.
9. Speaking of that area, we learned this week that development plans for this part of Lower Lonsdale include an ice rink, a promenade, water park, and lots of new retail and restaurants.
10. Two Rivers Meats opened their Butcher Shop & Eatery and the food is delicious.
11. A UBC astrophysicist was honoured for their work in determining universe’s age, composition.
12. More UBC news: The school’s robotic “sailbot” was rescued after 1.5 years lost at sea.
13. Our neighbourhood series continues: Why I love the West End: On Pride, community and local history.
14. This was fun (trust me!): I rode the Double Decker Test Bus. Here’s what I learned.
16. On the subject of podcasts…we released episode two of our Vancouver Is Awesome podcast this week, which includes an interview with the co-owner of Main Street’s Soap Dispensary.
17-18. Here are two bright side stories that follow some initial bad news: The woman who jumped from a ferry savours new lease on life and how heart surgery spurred CBC Radio Vancouver’s Rick Cluff to make changes in his life.
19-22. We shared a few gift guides this week, like 8 unusual Christmas gifts you can buy for less than $50; 100 Vancouver experiences to give as gifts this Christmas (or anytime!); 6 elegant candles for everyone on your shopping list; and the ultimate holiday gift guide for Vancouver foodies.
23. We’re getting legal weed, Vancouver! B.C. sets minimum age of 19 to consume marijuana, plans mix of retail sales.
24. Green space in an unexpected place: Nine-acre park planned for Oakridge mall redevelopment.
25. Sounds fun: Dress like Santa and ski for free at Whistler Blackcomb.
26. Hungry? Here are 20 things to eat and drink in Vancouver this winter.
27. Yolks re-opened for breakfast and brunch at their new East Hastings location.
28. Or get your food brought to you: UberEATS has officially launched in Vancouver.
29. Need MORE food? Here are 100 holiday eats and treats to try in Vancouver this Christmas.
30. This beer sounds awesome: Phillips Brewing’s Black Toque beer is as dark as your ex’s heart.
31. And here’s one for the wine lovers: Our wine expert paired wines with Christmas ornaments.
32. Brush up on your local history: 5 things you didn’t know about the second Hotel Vancouver.
34. Do604 names the 10 best events to check out this weekend.
35. Here are 5 places to eat and drink in Squamish right now.