|We are HUB. We make cycling better through education, action and events. More cycling means healthier, happier, more connected communities. We’re leading the way in making cycling an attractive choice for everyone. Each month V.I.A. provides a platform for us to bring you something awesome involving cycling in the city!|
By Burton Wong
“Gasp!” That’s usually the response I get when people catch my two-tone cycling tan lines peeking out of my t-shirt sleeves. I’m just like your typical Vancouverite – as soon as the sun kicks into high gear, I’m outside soaking up vitamin D like it’s going out of style. I’ve got a head start on my office-bound buddies because every chance I get, I’m out soaking up the rays as I pedal around town on my bike. By the peak of summer, my tan lines would make a farmer jealous.
If you’re looking to even out your tan, look no further than the Naked Bike Ride, an annual tradition for those who dare to bare it all (I’ll stick with my cyclist-tan, thanks). That’s just one of the many bike-friendly events lined up as we head into the summer months:
- Join HUB tomorrow at MEC BikeFest Vancouver, where you can check out new gear, participate in awesome clinics and workshops or even get in on a friendly race.
- This Sunday, June 16th, not just ONE but FOUR communities will be rocking out with great food, local vendors and live entertainment in celebration of Car Free Day Vancouver. HUB will be at Commercial drive this year, giving away free stuff and organizing rides between festival locations. To make it even more bike-friendly than it already is, The Bicycle Valet can watch over your two-wheeled steed while you soak up the rays at at the Main Street and Commercial Drive locations.
- If you’re a fan of the Museum of Vancouver, HUB members get a 2-for-1 admission during the month of June. Check out the scintillating Sex Talk in the City exhibit or the photography of Foncie Pulice who captured iconic images of Vancouver’s streets back in the 1930s. The museum is also near the bike route that runs around Vanier Park through to Kitsilano, which makes it even easier to access by bike.
- For the racing fans, BC Superweek is just around the corner. With five races taking place between July 5 and 14, there’s a good chance that you can catch some of the action this season. Just remember to slather on sunscreen when you’re waiting for the pros to whip through the hay bale corners. Believe me, it’s easy to forget how mean the sun is when you’re distracted by the cowbell clanging and the “whooosh!” of road bikes flying by.
- Fancy some fashion? Want bike clothing options that don’t scream peloton or Tour-de-Something? Vancouver Cycle Chic is celebrating bicycling – without the Gore-Tex and Lycra – on July 5 at Sugar Studios. The event will feature a fashion show, music, food carts, an interactive art installation and even giveaways.
- Got guests in town? Want to explore more of your own backyard? Then sign up for a bike tour! Learn the fascinating history of Stanley Park with Vancouver Heritage -OR- explore Vancouver’s hidden foodie, art & urban history gems via bike with Cycle City Tours. HUB members get up to 15% – 20% off bike tours and even more discounts if you bring your own bike. For more info on HUB member benefits and discounts, visit bikehub.ca/membership.
Whew. That’s all I can cover this time but Vancouver still has a lot more going on as the hot weather kicks into gear. So buckle up that lid, be generous with the SPF50 and remember to use your hand signals. The fun begins now and if you’re lucky, you’ll have a tan line to remember all through the winter.