Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

Former Red Bull driver Sergio Perez says he's been approached by teams about a return to F1

LONDON (AP) — Former Red Bull driver Sergio Perez says he is in talks with Formula 1 teams about a return to the grid after having his contract ended two years early.
7748a3f0529a337207f566748e59f77d0095639abfc9590b030d390d1ad80179
FILE - Red Bull driver Sergio Perez, of Mexico, arrives for the practice ahead of the Formula One Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi, UAE, Dec. 6, 2024. (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri, file)

LONDON (AP) — Former Red Bull driver Sergio Perez says he is in talks with Formula 1 teams about a return to the grid after having his contract ended two years early.

A six-time race winner across 14 years in F1, Perez was replaced at Red Bull this season by Liam Lawson, who also struggled and was quickly demoted.

“Especially last year, I didn’t get to show what I’m able to do as a driver,” Perez said in an interview with the F1 website. “Now, all of a sudden, people realize how difficult the car is to drive.”

The 35-year-old Mexican said he had been “approached by a few teams since Abu Dhabi,” referencing his final race last December as teammate to F1 champion Max Verstappen.

“There are a few very interesting projects out there. It’s good to be in this position knowing that people are keen on you as a drive,” he said.

“People have short memories in F1. People realize that my position was not the easiest one in F1. And I’ve done extremely well overall.”

Perez was runner-up to Verstappen in the 2023 driver standings and has 39 career finishes on a race podium.

He said from his home in Mexico he will take “at least six months” to weigh his options and decide on a next career move.

Verstappen’s new Red Bull teammate at the Japanese Grand Prix this weekend is Yuki Tsunoda.

___

AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing

The Associated Press