The days may be shorter and the rainfall totals much bigger, but in Metro Vancouver we still have a few options for getting our hands on farm-fresh ingredients and locally-made food products in the cooler months.
You can always find fresh veggies and a staggering array of regionally-produced goods and fantastic eats at the Granville Island Public Market all year, but this year we say goodbye to the White Rock winter-only market (they’ve opted to run their regular market through the end of October instead).
These five winter farmers’ markets happening in Metro Vancouver from October through April will help you keep in touch with your farmer and what’s in season on your plate.
1. Hastings Park (November 5, 2017 – April 29, 2018)
Where: Hastings Park – Centregrounds (between the Forum and the Agrodome on the PNE grounds)
When: Sundays 10 am – 2 pm (except December 24 & 31)
2. Nat Bailey (November 4, 2017 – April 21, 2018)
Where: 4601 Ontario Street
When: Saturdays 10 am – 2 pm (except December 30)
3. Port Moody Winter Farmers’ Market (November 5 – April 29, 2018)
Where: Port Moody Recreation Complex – 300 Ioco Road, Port Moody
When: Sundays 10 am – 2 pm
4. Cannery Farmers Market (October 15, 29; November 12, 26; December 3, 10, 17, 2017; January 28; February 11, 25; March 11, 25; April 8, 22, 2018)
Where: Gulf of Georgia Cannery Historic Site – 12138 Fourth Avenue, Richmond
When: Select Sundays from 10 am to 3 pm
5. New West Farmers Market Winter Market (Select Saturdays November- April)
Where: Belmont Street between Sixth and Seventh streets, New Westminster
When: 1st & 3rd Saturday of the month from November to April from 11 am to 3 pm; check website for dates)